I still code Rexx almost daily on z/VM, but have tried to use bash scripts
on Linux, with the occasional call to awk and perl.  There are a few reasons
for this - but it's mostly because I want/need to write code that can run on
any Linux system, without requiring an extra package that most probably
don't have installed.

There are too many great things about Rexx for me to ever give it up.  I
exploit the flexible array structures shamelessly and love the parse
command.  It's hard to beat for readability IMHO.  I'll probably never be
able to code things as quickly with other languages as I can with Rexx - but
that's probably understandable after 25 years of almost daily use.

Scott Rohling