On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway.com> wrote:

> That's eleven combinations.  The DIAG driver is only supported in a
> virtual machine under z/VM, of course.  The current production
> version of GNU parted supports only the first two combinations.
> With my enhancements, all eleven combinations are supported.

The complexity caused by the number of combinations is not an obvious advantage.
It's unfortunate we have not been able to separate transport and
layout. If we had done that, we could select diagnose I/O or straight
SSCH based on performance aspects without any change to the data
layout.

As you point out, some combinations are WORN devices (write it once,
read never afterwards) when the superblock or partition info
overwrites the CMS FST. Several of the possible combinations are not a
good idea at all.