On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 09:03:46 -0500 (EST), Richard Troth wrote:
> The problem with mainframe labelling (the req for an IBM volser) is
> that it panders to the bad behaviour of a certain other mainframe op
> sys.  Also, we're mixing labelling with partitioning.  They are not
> the same thing, though CDL accommodates both.
>
> It is presumptuous, and increasingly incorrect, to expect that users
> partition everything on other platforms.  In fact, there are growing
> numbers of cases where users/customers DO NOT partition physical
> media.
>
> Windows assumes partitioning (except where it is forced to know
> better).  Too bad for Windows.  z/OS assumes IBM volsers.  Too bad for
> z/OS.  This is Linux.  We should be able to bypass the complexities
> and ... Keep It Simple.  Partitioning is a layer of complexity.  Where
> it is needed, fine.  Where it is not needed, let us turn it off.

Hello, Rick.

I have seen this thread running for some time now, and I'm getting
more and more confused.  What, exactly, is the "problem" that you
are trying to "solve"?  I have recently completed work on enhancements
to GNU parted to support all combinations of DASD type (CKD and FBA)
DASD format (cdl, ldl, CMS non-reserved, and CMS reserved) and DASD
driver (ECKD, FBA, and DIAG) supported by the Linux kernel; so I am
reasonably familiar with the landscape here.  I have not had any problems.
Can you please state your problem in a manner simple enough for a
dunder head like me to understand?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :