After you issue the  cp query, did you disconnect?

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of CHAPLIN,
JAMES (CTR)
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 5:07 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Server rebooting after doing a CP Q DA from the console

Found a problem today with CP QUERY command that caused our Linux Server
to reboot.

Using vmcp from a zLinux server, I issued the following command:

vmcp q dasd | less

Binary file (standard input) matches

Error: output (21282 bytes) was truncated, try --buffer to increase size

This guest has a large number of DASD attached to it (Oracle database)
causing this problem. (Should have used the 'vmcp -b nnnn q dasd |
less')

But I thought I would try the same command from the guest console (#CP Q
DA), and got the following response just before the server rebooted:

DASD 4886 ON DASD  4886 R/W VI1304 SUBCHANNEL = 014C

DASD 4887 ON DASD  4887 R/W VI1305 SUBCHANNEL = 014D

Error: output (21282 bytes) was truncated,

Two questions as I am a VM rookie,

How to you modify the buffer from the console for the CP command?

How do you display the buffer size available for a CP command?

Also:

Why would a query command on a console bring down a linux guest, but
vmcp query does not? Is this a know bug?

James Chaplin

Systems Programmer, MVS, zVM & zLinux

Visit our website at http://www.nyse.com

Note:  The information contained in this message and any attachment to it is
privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately by replying to the message, and please delete it from
your system.  Thank you.  NYSE Euronext.