On Wednesday, 03/30/2011 at 01:44 EDT, "Thompson, Michael E"
<michael_thomp...@uhc.com> wrote:
> We are attempting to enable HyperPAV aliases on a DS8700 to a z/M 6.1
> system. The Dasd Subsystem people and the people that control the HCD
> that the definitions are all proper from their standpoint. However when
> I issue the Q PAV command I get "There are no Parallel Access Volume
> devices known to this system ". I have been told that there no
> definitions I need to make from a zVM standpoint to detect these
> aliases. If the DS8700 and the HCD are defined correctly I should be
> able to see the devices when I do the Q PAV. Is this correct?
> Here are displays I did on the associated SSID.
> q cu dasd fa00 dev
> DASD CU FA00 DEVICES:
> F800 F801 F802 F803 F804 F805 F806 F807
> F808 F809 F80A F80B F80C F80D F80E F80F
> Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:30:24
> q cu dasd fa00 al
> DASD CU FA00 HAS NO ASSOCIATED ALIASES
> Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:30:31
> q cu dasd fa00 pavm
> DASD CU FA00 CURRENTLY HYPERPAV, HYPERPAV ALLOWED
> Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:30:57

Instead of querying the control unit, you need to QUERY PAV ALL. HyperPAVs
are not associated with a base device until an I/O is performed, and that
association only lasts for the duration of that I/O.  Hence the failure of
QUERY CU DASD ALIAS to give you anything useful.  Instead, HyperPAVs are
in "pools" that are selected by CP for association with a base device in
the same pool.

QUERY DASD DETAILS will tell you the pool associated with a specific base
or alias address.'

It's that use of the word "associated" that needs to be looked at when
thinking about PAV vs HyperPAV.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training