Thanks Alan. I will work with the HCD group to move these devices to
channel set 0.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of
Alan Altmark
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:24 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: HyperPAV Alias definitions on DS8700

On Thursday, 03/31/2011 at 09:27 EDT, "Thompson, Michael E"
<michael_thomp...@uhc.com> wrote:
> When I do a display of the an alias I receive the following q 7000
> HCPQDV040E Device 7000 does not exist Ready(00040); T=0.01/0.01
> 08:11:59
>
> To me it appears that these devices are not being detected for some
> reason. The question is why.
> I will work closely with the HCD people to try to determine this. One
> thing he has told me is that the base is on MSS 0 while the aliases
> are on MSS 1. I do not know if that would have any impact or not. We
> are running on a z196.

And the anomaly is thereby revealed.  You're right, they're not being
detected since all devices for z/VM must be in channel set 0.  IBM is
aware of the requirement to enable CP to address devices in other
channel sets.

Notice that there is no syntax in the VARY command to specify a device
in any non-default channel set.  They're just good ol' 4-digit device
addresses, which is enough for a single channel set.  If VARY can't
reach a device, it might as well be located on the moon.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556
alan_altm...@us.ibm.com
IBM Endicott

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390