Alan here is the output from Q PAV ALL

q pav all
There are no Parallel Access Volume devices known to this system
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 13:10:02 has no mention of

The Q DASD DETAILS does not contain the HYPERPAV DETAILS

q dasd details f802
F802  CUTYPE = 2107-E8, DEVTYPE = 3390-0C, VOLSER = VMUW02, CYLS = 65520
      CACHE DETAILS:  CACHE NVS CFW DFW PINNED CONCOPY
           -SUBSYSTEM   Y    Y   Y   -    N       N
              -DEVICE   Y    -   -   Y    N       N
      DEVICE DETAILS: CCA = 02, DDC = --
      DUPLEX DETAILS: --
      PPRC DETAILS: PRIMARY VOLUME
      CU DETAILS: SSID = FA00, CUNUM = F80A
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 13:19:24

Looks like the device is not even detecting HyperPAV status.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of
Alan Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:00 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: HyperPAV Alias definitions on DS8700

On Wednesday, 03/30/2011 at 01:44 EDT, "Thompson, Michael E"
<michael_thomp...@uhc.com> wrote:
> We are attempting to enable HyperPAV aliases on a DS8700 to a z/M 6.1
> system. The Dasd Subsystem people and the people that control the HCD
> that the definitions are all proper from their standpoint. However
> when I issue the Q PAV command I get "There are no Parallel Access
> Volume devices known to this system ". I have been told that there no
> definitions I need to make from a zVM standpoint to detect these
> aliases. If the DS8700 and the HCD are defined correctly I should be
> able to see the devices when I do the Q PAV. Is this correct?
> Here are displays I did on the associated SSID.
> q cu dasd fa00 dev
> DASD CU FA00 DEVICES:
> F800 F801 F802 F803 F804 F805 F806 F807
> F808 F809 F80A F80B F80C F80D F80E F80F Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:30:24 q
> cu dasd fa00 al DASD CU FA00 HAS NO ASSOCIATED ALIASES Ready;
> T=0.01/0.01 11:30:31 q cu dasd fa00 pavm DASD CU FA00 CURRENTLY
> HYPERPAV, HYPERPAV ALLOWED Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:30:57

Instead of querying the control unit, you need to QUERY PAV ALL.
HyperPAVs are not associated with a base device until an I/O is
performed, and that association only lasts for the duration of vthat
I/O.  Hence the failure of QUERY CU DASD ALIAS to give you anything
useful.  Instead, HyperPAVs are in "pools" that are selected by CP for
association with a base device in the same pool.

QUERY DASD DETAILS will tell you the pool associated with a specific
base or alias address.'

It's that use of the word "associated" that needs to be looked at when
thinking about PAV vs HyperPAV.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556
alan_altm...@us.ibm.com
IBM Endicott

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390