Jim --

What I think I hear is that he wants to install an additional software
package to the already installed and running Linux system, yes?  (As
opposed to performing an installation of Linux itself.)

So ... he probably has a Linux desktop.  If so, then he should

        ssh -X linuxonz

and run the installation command(s) from that remote shell.  The "-X"
flag on the SSH command explicitly enables "X forwarding" so that the
remote shell has access to his desktop screen and keyboard.  (The
default is frequently to leave "X forwarding" disabled, but sometimes
it is enabled by default.)

One step at a time.  See if that works.  But ... good hygiene is to #1
require root privs for product installation and #2 to not let people
sign on as root directly.  If these are both true for you, then
passing X access from his desktop to the privileged shell gets a
little trickier.  We'll cross that bridge when/if we get to it.

Scott and Pat mentioned VNC.  VNC is good (and Scott was I believe
specifically talking about for Linux system installation).  Your guy
*can*  use VNC to get a virtual X "desktop" on the mainframe Linux
system, but the window manager will probably be TWM (unless he knows
VNC well enough to change it), which he will probably not like.  I am
okay with TWM in small doses.

What Dave Boyes suggested should happen automagically if you  'ssh -X
remotehost'.  Try it.

Rick Troth
Velocity Software
http://www.velocitysoftware.com/