> But since Linux does know how to evacuate swap space, you can define a
> new VDISK for swap and free the old VDISK. Once you detach it, the
> slots on page space will be freed up. Whether it makes sense to shake
> up your memory reference patterns like that is an entirely different
> issue...
>
> | Rob

Ok, I had forgotten Linux could do that, so that could get all of the
vdisk pages moved (assuming there are no other vdisk uses), but it
does "stir the pot" in terms of recency of reference (all of those
pages have to become resident and then age back out through the
paging hierarchy (which isn't ideal), and it won't get other types
of CP owned pages, but it might be enough for some shops.

- Bill

Bill Holder, Senior Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development, Memory Management, Endicott, NY
Phone:  607-429-3640        IBM TieLine: 620-3640