> Just a perhaps crazy idea.
> - Add new page volumes
> - drain all old page vlumes to stop adding new data there
> - for each Linux, one at a time change the reserved memory to the same as
m=
> emsize
>   (for this to work, z/VM now must restore all paged memory into real
memor=
> y)
> - wait until this is done (hehe, have no clue here about the time or how
to=
>  check it out, sorry)
> - remove that reserved memory (or is it dedicated?)
> - and all new paging will we on the new page volumes
>
> Any chance this can work anyone ? :)
>
> Cordialement / Vriendelijke Groeten / Best Regards / Med V=E4nliga
H=E4lsni=
> ngar
>   Tore Agblad

Hi - there are (at least) two problems: First,  issuing SET RESERVED does
not cause z/VM to
actively restore (page in) any paged-out pages (make them resident in
storage), it merely
prevents any more from being stolen.  Second, the SET RESERVED protection
is not
absolute - if the Demand Scan (page replacement) function reaches the 3rd
pass emergency
scan, the SET RESERVED setting is not honored and the pages will be taken
away anyway.
z/VM provides no permanent way to dedicate storage.   However, this
approach might work
(for user pages) if the CP LOCK command is used rather than SET RESERVED -
LOCK will
bring the pages in.  However, there are various things the guest program
may choose to do
to defeat the LOCK command (any page release function such as Diag x'10'),
and it also
won't help with CP system-owned pages (including vdisk pages, for what it's
worth), which
cannot be locked via the CP LOCK command.

Bill Holder, Senior Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development, Memory Management, Endicott, NY
Phone:  607-429-3640        IBM TieLine: 620-3640