> Just a idea, but what if we put the "back link" on the DASD page (I don't
> know much about the structure of the page, but I think there's a header
> there somewhere), not on central memory? We would only have to read the
back
> link on the page header on DASD and we would know where the page is,
migrate
> it and release the disk.
>
> Mauro

That could work, though it would mean redefining the CP owned volume format
to contain
room for the additional metadata, which would be somewhat disruptive
(particularly for
spool space and release compatability).  Each record would have to be at
least 4104
bytes to contain the 4K page plus 8 bytes (likely more) for the pointer.
An alternative
would be to keep the pointers separate from the 4K records they describe,
but then
that just adds another mapping to maintain.

Either way, I'm not sure it's a better solution overall than scanning, nor
am I sure it really
would result in a smaller (shorter time to market) project - there's lots
of potential for
unforeseen disruption.   But it's certainly worth keeping in mind.

Bill Holder, Senior Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development, Memory Management, Endicott, NY
Phone:  607-429-3640        IBM TieLine: 620-3640