> We may be getting a z114 to test the feasibility of z/VM/Linux on Z for our
> shop.
> I'm not a mainframer but I'd like to know what storage devices can be
> provisioned for the z114 and what the preferred method is to accomplish
> this.

The usual suspects all work if you have FICON storage available. If you're
looking to go totally low cost, use FCP storage exclusively.

The only catch right now for a FCP-only system is that there is no support for
SCSI tape for the base VM system, which means that you can't back up spool/NSS
files using SPXTAPE. Everything else you can work around using disk-based
methods.

If you want to go completely tape-free, you probably should talk to CA about a
copy of V/SEG. That gives you a way to deal with NSS files, and there are
open-source utilities that can deal with normal spool files.