On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:40:58 -0500
Tom Duerbusch <duerbus...@stlouiscity.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mark
>
> That was it.
> I would have thought that my current directory would be searched prior to
> searching the path.

Nope - it's called "security"

The old Unixes did use to put . at the start of the path by default, and
people used to leave executables with names like "ls" in /tmp [1]. If you
put it at the end as people then did then folks put binaries like "sl"
in /tmp and wait.

Nowdays most people I know have a ~/bin on their path where they can drop
binaries.

Alan

[1] Something like this was popular back in my student days.

#!/bin/sh
cp ./ls ~/ls 2>/dev/null
echo "sleep 1" >>~/.profile
/bin/ls $*

So you really don't want "." in your path.