That worked - the error msg. went away, and it shaved about 20 seconds
off the boot time.

This was a new clone of  SLES11sp1.   So the file must have been created
by yast or something else I did while trying to fix the problem.

Since you're paying taxes in Germany, I suppose you're doing your part
to fix the other crisis  and we appreciate that, too.

Best Regards
Roger Evans, Autodata Norge A/S
http://www.autodata.no