From:   Agblad Tore <tore.agb...@volvo.com>
To:     LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu,
Date:   11/18/2011 11:45 AM
Subject:        Hardcoded mac addresses in an autogenerated environment
Sent by:        Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>

Hi there.
We have autogenerated mac addresses for our zLinux servers (ip-only
traffic)
I have tested and verified that the mac-address for the network adapter
changes between z/VM logoff-logon ( shutdown + start ).
Well, that's no surprise, that's what we wanted :-)
BUT:
The license for for a product we have uses a hardware stamp that includes
network adapter id.
So after a restart the license is invalid and no one can use the server ��

So we need to hardcode the mac address for these two servers only.

Is there anybody who has done this successfully ?
Maybe it is enough to use high hardcoded numbers, or is it configurable in
z/VM to have a certain range free/not free ?

BR /Tore

Tore Agblad
System programmer, Volvo IT certified IT Architect
Volvo Information Technology
Infrastructure Mainframe Design & Development, Linux servers
Dept 4352  DA1S
SE-405 08, Gothenburg  Sweden
Telephone: +46-31-3233569
E-mail: tore.agb...@volvo.com