On Friday, 11/18/2011 at 11:44 EST, Agblad Tore <tore.agb...@volvo.com>
wrote:
> Hi there.
> We have autogenerated mac addresses for our zLinux servers (ip-only
traffic)
> I have tested and verified that the mac-address for the network adapter
changes
> between z/VM logoff-logon ( shutdown + start ).
> Well, that's no surprise, that's what we wanted :-)
> BUT:
> The license for for a product we have uses a hardware stamp that
includes
> network adapter id.
> So after a restart the license is invalid and no one can use the server


> So we need to hardcode the mac address for these two servers only.
>
> Is there anybody who has done this successfully ?
> Maybe it is enough to use high hardcoded numbers, or is it configurable
in z/VM
> to have a certain range free/not free ?

Please look at the VMLAN MACPREFIX and MACIDRANGE statements in SYSTEM
CONFIG, and MACID on the NICDEF.  The USER range is a subset of the SYSTEM
range.  MACID specifications on NICDEF must come from the USER range.
Dynamic MACIDs generated by CP will come from outside the USER range. E.g.

    VMLAN
       MACPREFIX 020304
       MACIDRANGE SYSTEM  000001-002FFF
                  USER    002F00-002FFF
will reserve 02:03:04:00:00:01-02:03:04:00:2E:FF for dynamic assignment by
CP, and 02:03:04:00:2F:00-02:03:04:00:02:FF for static assignment via
MACID.

Note also the MACPROTECT option to prevent a guest from changing its MAC
address.  I recommend against coding LLADDR in your Linux config.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556