On Nov 27, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Alan Altmark wrote:

> Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, eh?  :-)  If you specify
> MACID on the NICDEF, a DHCP "reservation" can be used to assign a
> permanent IP address.  Some installations do this for all servers, as they
> want to be able to update the gateway, dns, subnet mask, etc. from a
> central point.

True. We found DHCP (as reservations to a permanent IP address) to be
invaluable for simplifying DR exercises. We were on a Layer 3 VSWITCH at the
time of implementation though so the MACID was not feasable for us. My solution
was to have the DHCP client send the VM user name as the client ID, and key the
static leases off that instead of the MAC address. It worked so well we stuck
with it after migrating to Layer 2 VSWITCHes.

It substantially simplified the process of deploying flashcopy clones, too.

ok
bear.

--
until further notice