On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 2:41 AM, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> How did you do that?  Through the 'send dhcp-client-identifier' option?  I
> have wished that the dchp client config file had something like "send
> vname-as-dhcp-client-identifier" so that it could in the "constant" part
> of the clone.  Then it could be used on all virtual servers.  (Where vname
> is something like hypervisorname-vmname.)

Wishes.... ;-)   I think mine was that VSWITCH would have its own
built-in DHCP server to respond with the configured IP address and
probably even refuse anything else done by the guest...

IIRC we had the userid in the client hostname field (that's there for
the DHCP server to register the client in DNS). The DHCP server would
get the configuration data out of LDAP.

In theory there's a lot of potential in doing dynamic IP addresses for
servers and register them in DNS. This would allow servers to move or
have extra ones added on demand. Unfortunately many DNS
implementations today stretch the protocol in dangerous ways and make
it very hard to manage.

Rob