On Nov 27, 2011, at 5:41 PM, Alan Altmark wrote:

> How did you do that?  Through the 'send dhcp-client-identifier' option?  I
> have wished that the dchp client config file had something like "send
> vname-as-dhcp-client-identifier" so that it could in the "constant" part
> of the clone.  Then it could be used on all virtual servers.  (Where vname
> is something like hypervisorname-vmname.)

Indeed. On SuSE this is done in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp with
DHCLIENT_CLIENT_ID. By default it's blank. But,

DHCLIENT_CLIENT_ID=`/usr/bin/awk '/VM00 Name:/ { print $NF }' /proc/sysinfo`

This was the foundation of a lot of DR and provisioning automation for us. I've
spent more than a little time to no avail, trying to determine whether this is
even possible with, for example, Xen. Disappointing, as it's such a simple
thing.

ok
bear.

--