Thomas,

We are an SAP shop.  Years ago, we ran the full DB2 connect client on each SAP
application server.  This would be a real pail at times when DB2 maintenance
came along.  It was also a consumed quite a bit of disk space on the server.
Also there was the matter of the configuration that had to be co-ordinated with
the SAP folks.

SAP has since migrated to what was called a 'thin client.'  (I can find the
real name if you want.)  One of the advantages of the thin client was that to
install, you basically just untarred a directory structure and then pointed
your PATH to it.  It is so simple that the the SAP admin folks took over the
maintenance of DB2 connect.  As far as configuration goes, sometimes we have to
make an entry in a INI file, but most of the time we do not.

Ron Foster

Baldor Electric Company

5711 R S Boreham Jr Street

Fort Smith, AR 72901