Looks like Scott gave you the summary:

        format the disk (not needed for EDEV or SAN)
        and partition it (also not needed for EDEV or SAN)
        'pvcreate'
        'vgextend'
        'lvextend' (which should be easy if LV is not striped)
        'resize2fs'

The last step can be done "live" if you hold your jaw just the right
way when saying it.  Seriously, if the kernel and the EXT2 suite both
have the proper support, it works.  I always unmount the filesystem
first.  That also gives me a chance to check it ... since I am either
a control freak or paranoid (or both).

I believe you said you finally found the magic YaST panel.  Almost
makes me miss SMIT.  SMIT would tell you the command-line equivalent
of whatever you were doing.  If you cared to, you could write that
down (or copy-n-paste), put it into a shell script for later replay.
Very handy.

-- R;
Rick Troth
Velocity Software