On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 14:54 +0000, van Sleeuwen, Berry wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Yes it is.
>
> I've found some more information when looking through the /sys/ directory.
> The state for this device is in HARDSETUP.
>
> nlzlx204:~ # cat /sys/devices/qeth/0.0.0f10/state
> HARDSETUP
>
> Searching for this I've found some information in patch reports, for instance
> at git390.marist.edu and kerneltrap.org. This status is a result of a boot
> without the actual device available. Indeed, what we have here now. When the
> cable is plugged (or the vswitch connected) the state should switch to
> SOFTSETUP or eventualy even to UP. But it doesn't. Would it be possible to
> get it to UP dynamically or is this a bug that can be resolved with a reboot
> or network restart only? (kernel level is at 2.6.32.12-0.7).
>
> Berry.

Hi Berry,

correct, state HARDSETUP should be a temporary state during online
setting for a qeth device only. If the device stays in state HARDSETUP
something unexpected occurred. To understand the reason, the trace
file /sys/kernel/debugfs/qeth_setup/hex_ascii should be checked by a
qeth expert. It's a wrap around buffer; thus it needs to be saved
immediately after the problem shows up.

Regards, Ursula Braun, IBM Germany