On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 11:36 +0100, Malcolm Beattie wrote:
> I intentionally didn't bother with a COUPLE since I was trying to
> reproduce Berry's problem and also expecting the vNIC to act like
> a normal NIC and let me configure it and even ifconfig it up before
> plugging it into a switch. I'd thought that that used to work but
> maybe not. Would it be considered a bug or an "unimplemented feature"
> that it doesn't act that way?
>
> Actually, even when I then couple it to a VSWITCH, the state remains
> in HARDSETUP (even after I do an "echo 1 > recover" too) and an
> "ifup eth1" still fails. That makes it even more unlike a normal NIC
> and seems very inconvenient. I'll send you the trace for that too in
> case that part is unexpected.
>
> --Malcolm

Malcolm,

tried to recreate your problem with my available upstream kernel. But my
qeth device stayed in state SOFTSETUP after znetconf. Further analysis
showed that you need to upgrade to a kernel level of at least
2.6.32.29-0.3.1 (bugzilla 68725) to see this behavior.

Regards, Ursula Braun, IBM Germany