Ursula Braun writes:
> looking through your transcript, I find the definition of the NIC (vmcp
> def nic 800 type qdio), but I do not see a vmcp couple command to bind
> the created NIC to a VSWITCH or GuestLAN. This would explain the failing
> STARTLAN command for this qeth device.

I intentionally didn't bother with a COUPLE since I was trying to
reproduce Berry's problem and also expecting the vNIC to act like
a normal NIC and let me configure it and even ifconfig it up before
plugging it into a switch. I'd thought that that used to work but
maybe not. Would it be considered a bug or an "unimplemented feature"
that it doesn't act that way?

Actually, even when I then couple it to a VSWITCH, the state remains
in HARDSETUP (even after I do an "echo 1 > recover" too) and an
"ifup eth1" still fails. That makes it even more unlike a normal NIC
and seems very inconvenient. I'll send you the trace for that too in
case that part is unexpected.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie
Mainframe Systems and Software Business, Europe