We converted from standalone client copies to DB2 Connect Server under zLinux.

Reasons:

1.  Cost.  The standlone copy was about $450 per.  The server copy for 25 Named
user was around $2,250.  A Named user is per user and cannot be shared.  A 25
pack for concurrent users costs much more.  Another varient is a cost per
engine based on your application server or web server size.  Then there is the
enterprize wide license.

2.  I have multiple DB2 Connect servers running.  One is production which has
been up for more then 2 years.  A fall back server in case the production
server crashes (just change what you connect to).  And a test one and MY test
one.

3.  If I add another DB2 (VSE), I just need to add it to DB2 Connect Server.
Many PC based product will then see the new server when you open the connection.

4.  The "thin client" on the pc is much smaller in disk space and PC memory
usage.

5.  Putting it, or really "them" on zLinux, is what zLinux is all about.
Server Consolidation.  Takes about 1-2% CPU.

However, you have already paid for your current copies.  We went with the
server method and redistribute the standalone copies to certain users that we
couldn't talk into the server method.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T