That, plus IBM has an easier time marketing and selling its other UNIX
solutions. Our IBM sales people have tried to sell packages that run on zLinux
but management is not comfortable with it. It will take a while for the
pendulum to swing, but in the meantime they cite the average age of the
mainframe support staff and the difficulty of replacing them.

Our zLinux support is clustered within the mainframe group, unlike our other
open systems that have their own specific teams. Working within that reality,
it's important to have good communications with UNIX and Linux experts across
the organization and elsewhere. We rely much more heavily on the network and
the networking staff (LDAP, databases, etc.) than we ever did running just old
mainframe applications, and resolving problems quickly requires good
coordination between the various players. We also rely heavily on z/OS for
encrypted DASD backups and file level Linux backups, so there are some
additional recurring costs, and again team coordination between z/VM and z/OS.

There is a lot to learn, shake out, and get comfortable with. We are taking
very small steps, but our stuff stays up for many months at a time which is
something very few others in the open systems arena can claim. Some folks are
fascinated by the lack of physical infrastructure when they ask about the
locations of presumably big servers. But I agree it's tough to rally support
for something when certain key people continue to downplay or refuse to see the
benefits.
Ray Mrohs