very true. Executive or near to executive level sponsorship is key.
Can't progress much without it.
David Kreuter

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: z/Linux and z/OS
From: OAKES Roger * ETS <roger.oa...@state.or.us>
Date: Fri, July 27, 2012 12:37 pm
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

David, we've been running Linux on Z for quite a while, since about 2003
or so. Tech management read about the IFL processor for the z/800, IBM
made them a heck of a deal and we had someone step up and offer to
support Linux and VM so we were off and running.

Now we're floundering a bit. Tech management still sees the advantages,
but we don't have much 'new' Linux workload so in order to grow Linux on
Z we have to port existing systems from X to Z.

The phrase Linux is Linux is Linux is still true, but the change from
Linux on Intel to Linux on Z is not an easy migration. It appears you
have to build the z/Linux guest using the s/390 kernel, install the apps
and move the data over, so you have to engage your business and
development side in acceptance testing to move something that is working
to the new platform. The technical side does see some differences,
please see the note from Dorothea Mattheus about the CPUPLUGD daemon on
July 24. You just don't have the same issues for Linux on Intel.

I strongly believe you should run your POC. The technology does work as
advertised, maybe even better. Just please make sure there is support
for the platform where it's needed in the organization before you go
live.

Roger Oakes