On an occasional basis, when I have to IPL a guest under 5.4, I find that the
primary network connection doesn't work properly when the SLES system comes
[back] up. It isn't until I ping the gateway from said guest that I'm able to
access it remotely. Until that step is performed, the system is inaccessible
over the network. I accomplish this either by accessing the guest from another
systems over a Hipersockets connection or the TN3270 console. After this step
is performed, it's again possible to access the guest remotely, via SSH, over
the primary network connection.

All of the SLES guests are attached to a VLAN-aware VSWITCH, which in turn is
connected to redundant OSA Express-3 cards.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any idea why it might do this?

It doesn't appear to matter whether it's a SLES 10 or SLES 11 guest, the issue
is the same. It is NOT every time the guests is IPL'd, either which makes it
all the more bizzare and difficult to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Keeton
ETS / Service Delivery
State Data Center
(503) 373-0832

Confidentiality Note: This electronic mail transmission contains information
belonging to the Department of Administrative Services, Enterprise Technical
Services. This information may be confidential and/or legally privileged and is
intended for the use of the addressees designated above. If you are not the
distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this
electronic information is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
error, please delete and notify us immediately.