On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 15:26 +0000, KEETON Dave * ETS wrote:
> On an occasional basis, when I have to IPL a guest under 5.4, I find that the
> primary network connection doesn't work properly when the SLES system comes
> [back] up. It isn't until I ping the gateway from said guest that I'm able to
> access it remotely. Until that step is performed, the system is inaccessible
> over the network. I accomplish this either by accessing the guest from
> another systems over a Hipersockets connection or the TN3270 console. After
> this step is performed, it's again possible to access the guest remotely, via
> SSH, over the primary network connection.
>
> All of the SLES guests are attached to a VLAN-aware VSWITCH, which in turn is
> connected to redundant OSA Express-3 cards.
>
> Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any idea why it might do this?
>
> It doesn't appear to matter whether it's a SLES 10 or SLES 11 guest, the
> issue is the same. It is NOT every time the guests is IPL'd, either which
> makes it all the more bizzare and difficult to troubleshoot.

Dave,

we reported this problem for SLES 11 in SUSE bugzilla 617373. Solution
has been to introduce a SEND_GRATUITOUS_ARP config option. Its default
is "no". Changing it to "yes" should trigger the sending of gratuitous
ARPs. It applies to ETHERNET (not IP) VSWITCHes. The config option is
offered starting with sysconfig-0.71.30-0.10.1.

Regards, Ursula Braun, IBM Germany