From:   KEETON Dave * ETS <dave.kee...@state.or.us>
To:     LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu,
Date:   14/08/2012 12:28
Subject:        QETH issue?
Sent by:        Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>

On an occasional basis, when I have to IPL a guest under 5.4, I find that
the primary network connection doesn't work properly when the SLES system
comes [back] up. It isn't until I ping the gateway from said guest that
I'm able to access it remotely. Until that step is performed, the system
is inaccessible over the network. I accomplish this either by accessing
the guest from another systems over a Hipersockets connection or the
TN3270 console. After this step is performed, it's again possible to
access the guest remotely, via SSH, over the primary network connection.

All of the SLES guests are attached to a VLAN-aware VSWITCH, which in turn
is connected to redundant OSA Express-3 cards.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any idea why it might do this?

It doesn't appear to matter whether it's a SLES 10 or SLES 11 guest, the
issue is the same. It is NOT every time the guests is IPL'd, either which
makes it all the more bizzare and difficult to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Keeton
ETS / Service Delivery
State Data Center
(503) 373-0832

Confidentiality Note: This electronic mail transmission contains
information belonging to the Department of Administrative Services,
Enterprise Technical Services. This information may be confidential and/or
legally privileged and is intended for the use of the addressees
designated above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any
action in reliance on the contents of this electronic information is
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete
and notify us immediately.

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or