Please forgive any misused terminology, but wouldn't it be possible to have
something conceptually similar to the Intel PXE "netboot". This might be a
command run from CMS, or maybe even be IPLable in its own right. I don't know
all the possible communications possibilities. Perhaps VMCF instead of IP? And
have a SVM which is the "boot server". I don't know if this would be any better
than something like an IPLable Linux kernel in an NSS. I'm able totally "free
associating" here. And I'm very ignorant of the current facilites in z/VM. I'm
a lurker here and on the VM forum just to have an idea what is going on in the
"free world".

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV