> 1-Stop running major applications/database servers, etc 2-issue a command
> on linux to flush buffers (sync) and put guest into frozen/sleep mode 3-Take
> your flashcopy outside the guest 4-issue another command on linux to
> resume

I'm not sure how that would work... if the guest is in suspended animation
mode, how would it execute commands? CP would have to be involved in some way
because it's the only thing that's awake the entire time.

The idea of going into suspended mode (have the kernel write the entire VM
state, including memory contents, to disk, log off, and then resume from the
suspended image) might be an interesting variation to explore, though --
especially if combined with a Linux IPL from a NSS. The initrd from the NSS IPL
could look for a "suspend" file, and if it found one, load it back into RAM and
jump back into it. That would
use a lot of disk space, which might make it impractical for ECKD-only systems,
but it would let you do what you want reasonably safely.

Me,  I'm not terribly comfortable with it -- I've lost too much data to
suspend-mode on laptops running Windows to feel safe with it -- but other
people seem to swear by suspending their laptops. YMMV.