> > I wonder if anyone would like to share their experiences with regards
> > to automated shutdown/restart of linux guests for DR snapshot purposes.

We recommend a combination of file-level backups run from within the virtual
machines to a designated backup server that is NOT one of the application
servers, coupled with and a monthly physical dump of all the disks in the
system as a scheduled outage. The designated backup server is shut down after
backups are complete, and a separate physical dump of the backup server only is
done every day.

We also maintain a 1 pack recovery system disk that is used if the entire
system has to be restored from bare metal. The 1 pack system has CMSBATCH
userids (one per tape drive) that we feed restore jobs, one job per pack.

In DR, the 1 pack recovery system gets restored first, then the most recent
dump of the backup server is restored. We then use the file-level backups on
the backup server to bring the application servers up to date at a file level.

That approach gets the whole system back up ASAP, but limits the actual down
time of the individual guests to a few minutes each month.

Mike Walter did a great presentation on creating a 1 pack system at the last VM
Workshop. Check out www.vmworkshop.org/2012 to find it.