From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Rob
van der Heij
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:47 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: LGR guest quiesce

On 30 August 2012 11:43, Lu GL Gao <lu...@cn.ibm.com> wrote:

Linux guest move its memory to target z/VM member during relocating. Then
> it quiesce and resume on target z/VM.
> How to understand "quiesce"? What state of linux when it is in quiesce
> time? Is idling? shutdown? or something?

See it as "frozen while running" -  as long as Linux is actually running,
it may change memory that z/VM already copied over, so z/VM will copy it
again, and again...  To stop that, finally the guest is frozen for a very
short period, not making any further changes. That gives z/VM time to copy
the last bits and the guest then continues to run on the other side, at the
very instruction where it was frozen before.
Linux will observe that some time passed where it did not run, but that's
normal in time sharing.

Rob

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or