>>> On 3/14/2013 at 02:45 PM, Rick Troth <r...@casita.net> wrote:
-snip-
> Specially sized minidisks are not the only option.  Think LVM.
> If you're trying to get free from the battle of wasted space versus
> wasted time and effort, logical volumes work really well.  Nothing
> else in Linux land comes close.

If you want to avoid having your root file system on an LV, then partitioning
is necessary.  And I avoid that like the plague.

> If you're running on VM, you can and should consider using the CP
> Directory to present specially sized minidisks.  That is, VM becomes
> your logical volume manager.  You have *options*.  You have
> flexibility way beyond what CDL offers and without the funky special
> first track.

And this takes more time and effort to manage, even with a directory manager,
hence my comment about saving people time.  And, like it or not, LDL has a
"funky special first track" too.

> If your shop is better served by giving Linux guests large chunks (or
> if you're doing LPAR where "large chunks" of DASD are the rule), feed
> said large chunks to LVM and let LVM slice and dice ... and season to
> taste.

See above.  Root file system on an LV is anathema to me and the other people
that have been burned by it.