Ron,

Carsten's first explanation is correct. If you see tx_errors on a
HiperSockets interface, it usually means transmission of a packet fails
because the receiver has currently no free receive buffer. You should
verify first if the receiver has configured the maximum of 128 buffers
(sysfs attribute buffer_count) for his HiperSockets device. 128 is
nowadays the default, but older qeth driver versions run with a default
of 16. If you see the tx_errors even though your receiver runs already
with the maximum of 128 buffers, you either have to live with the
autotuning mechanisms of tcp or you take actions to slow down the sender
or to accelerate the receiver.

As Alan suggested we can document this in the Device Driver book. The
other option would be to change the current behavior of the qeth driver
and increase probably both the tx_dropped and the tx_error counter.

It is definitely not a problem to report to SuSe folks.

Kind regards, Ursula Braun, Linux on System z development, IBM Germany