From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Ursula
Braun
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:54 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: TX-Errs on hipersocket interface.

Ron,

Carsten's first explanation is correct. If you see tx_errors on a
HiperSockets interface, it usually means transmission of a packet fails
because the receiver has currently no free receive buffer. You should
verify first if the receiver has configured the maximum of 128 buffers
(sysfs attribute buffer_count) for his HiperSockets device. 128 is
nowadays the default, but older qeth driver versions run with a default
of 16. If you see the tx_errors even though your receiver runs already
with the maximum of 128 buffers, you either have to live with the
autotuning mechanisms of tcp or you take actions to slow down the sender
or to accelerate the receiver.

As Alan suggested we can document this in the Device Driver book. The
other option would be to change the current behavior of the qeth driver
and increase probably both the tx_dropped and the tx_error counter.

It is definitely not a problem to report to SuSe folks.

Kind regards, Ursula Braun, Linux on System z development, IBM Germany

On Thu, 2013-07-25 at 13:18 +0000, Ron Foster wrote:
> Carsten,
> Do you know where I would start looking for causes of the transmit errors on
> Hipersockets?
> The error is occurring on SLES11 SP2 systems.  We are not having it on our
> SLES10 SP4 systems.
> Do I need to open a problem with the SuSe folks?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron Foster
> Baldor Electric Company
> 5711 R S Boreham Jr Street
> Fort Smith, AR 72901

personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named above. This
message may be an attorney-client or work product communication which is
privileged and confidential. It may also contain protected health information
that is protected by federal law. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone and destroy (shred) the
original message and all attachments. Any review, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this message by any person other than the intended recipient(s)
or their authorized agents is strictly prohibited. Thank you.