On 15 August 2013 16:44, Dean, David (I/S) <david_d...@bcbst.com> wrote:

> Is there any benefit (or negative) to running a "drop_cache" periodically?

I don't find it helpful in most cases, especially since it does not reduce
the server footprint. Shaking up memory like that may even make performance
much worse.
But I do use it in my 'cmmflush' approach where I have Linux drop the cache
and then give back that memory to z/VM. It still has some disadvantages,
but the reduction in footprint is very helpful to improve response times.
The 'periodically' would be specific moments in your workload rather than
every hour (unless maybe on development systems where I do run it from
cron).
http://zvmperf.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/using-cmm-to-flush-a-linux-guests-memory/

Rob