On 15 August 2013 17:34, Mauro Souza <thoriu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can safely ignore the cache usage on Linux, zVM will realise the page
> was not in use and drop it itself. When Linux needs memory, it will reclaim
> cache pages automatically.
>
> So we disagree. Maybe we wouldn't if you had read the page that I linked
to.

The point that you miss is when Linux needs memory and reclaims a page
frame from page cache, z/VM will first bring back the old contents that
Linux did not care about anymore. This is where getting a free page will
slow you down. Especially since the LRU patterns interfere. The idea is
that you want to drop the backing page from z/VM either before it is paged
out or before z/VM will page it back in. If you have CMMA enabled, then
having Linux free the page (by drop_caches) will prevent z/VM from paging
it out.

Rob