I have read it now. And as I think there's no CMM involved, I still
disagree.
I said I would never ever drop caches because I saw it almost killing a
LPAR. I had a customer that put drop_caches on crontab, and at that time
*every* guest started dropping caches and zVM was crazy doing a lot of
page-ins and page-outs. Nobody understood why the system was unresponsible.
I think is less costly to zVM to handle dozens of page-ins and outs for a
Linux needing 10MB of memory here and there, than to drop 2GB of caches at
the same time. If you drop all the cache at the same time, Linux will have
to make an I/O  operation for every file it will read, and zVM will have to
read a lot of data from PAGE that will be just ignored.
No matter if you drop all the cache at the same time, or drop a page when
you need it, zVM will have to bring it back. Dropping all caches is like
paying a $100k loan in one time, instead of splitting it in 1000 times of
$100.

Mauro
http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.