Just to provide you with our experiences since 14 months ago. We started a
system modernization program to build mobile banking applications using zLinux
on zVM with services and data been served by the legacy IBM mainframe CICS
system. I am the architect oversee the mainframe (zVM & zOS) infrastructure.
From the 14 months and ongoing experiences that I've seen, it is absolutely
important to not only have someone who is good at Linux but also have extensive
knowledge in zVM.  In general junior Linux system or very good high school
graduate Linux guru are lack of "Enterprise" IT mind. Also, strong knowledge in
network/TCPIP/vSwitches/hipersocket are also helpful.

I'll be glad to share our experience with anyone who is thinking of going down
this route.

Rita
Mainframe Architect
Pentagon Federal Credit Union

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Gerard
Howells
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 1:25 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: zLinux Question

As someone who came to Linux on z about 7 months ago after many years in the
distributed world I can say that as we run Linux on z, in LPAR's, it really
helps to have knowledge and understanding of z/VM and mainframe architecture. I
for one am relishing the experience of getting to learn an environment that is
entirely new to me.  In answer to your question, I do think that you'd need a
mainframe guy when getting started if your knowledge/experience is only from
the distributed world, yes.

Gerard Howells
zLinux System Administrator
Enterprise Systems