> I gave up and looked at some code.  :-)  The x200C is generated when you try
> to register a universal MAC address or one that potentially conflicts with a
> MAC address CP might create.
> That means you can only register additional MAC addresses that have MAC
> prefixes that are outside the range of the SYSTEM or USER MACPREFIX
> identified in SYSTEM CONFIG.

Thanks, this explains a lot. Knowing this I was actually able to register a
secondary mac address with the vswitch in my experimental setup.

> This opens a dangerous door because it means that the non-bridge guests must
> also have MACPROTECT OFF on their NICs.
> Further, you can't manage the MAC addresses in CP; the MAC address has to
> appear in the Linux configuration (hwaddr).

This solves the problem for the likes of KVM where the hypervisor inside Linux
can manage its own set of mac addresses. It does not solve the problem for us,
because we rely on CP managing the mac addresses (i.e. we do not want the guest
OSes to have the ability to change their mac address). But this is very useful
information. We will most likely go into redesign phase, but now we know much
more about what are the limits that we operate under.

> I think I would raise a PMR to discuss this with z/VM Development.
We actually have an open PMR but at this point in time I have learned more from
these discussions, so thanks again.

Tomas