On Thursday, 02/20/2014 at 09:33 EST, "Pavelka, Tomas"
<tomas.pave...@ca.com> wrote:
> > Further, the VSWITCH is already acting as an IEEE 802.3 layer 2 bridge
and
> its filtering database will drop unicast frames destined for unknown MAC
> addresses.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention: We have successfully sent packets between
two
> vswitches connected to a Linux bridge (LINUX1 and LINUX2 communicate in
the
> example below). But we needed to put the Linux bridge into promiscuous
mode on
> both of the bridged vswitches.
>
> (LINUX1) - <private vswitch> - (LINUXBR) - <public vswitch> - (LINUX2)

I thought about that, but being in promiscuous mode doesn't change the
rules for LINUXBR's origin MAC address, so you must be performing MAC
address translation such that you look more like a a layer 2 router (a la
OSA in layer 3 mode), not an 802.1d bridge (I said 802.3 earlier; I meant
802.1d.)  That is, all guests on the PUBLIC vswitch have the same MAC
address as viewed by all hosts on the PRIVATE vswitch (and vice versa).

So just beware that anything that assumes a unique MAC address per host
(typically DHCP) will not operate correctly across your bridge.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556