From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Philipp
Kern
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 3:56 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) for installation on zLinux?

On 2015-09-08 19:03, CHAPLIN, JAMES (CTR) wrote:
> Here the sad ending to this problem, our management has decided that
> since Symantec or anyone else actively supports an AV Agent for Linux
> on the z Platform (s390x), they are moving all Linux based application
> off the mainframe to distributive servers by the end of October... Any
> good job openings out there ;-(, I am hitting the pavement, future
> here not good.

The irony is that - given your email domain - you are working for the
government and any threat to the service is very likely not to be discovered by
AV anyway. Moving back to x86 will increase the attack surface because standard
exploit code is working on the target platform and doesn't need to be
rewritten/retargeted for the System z CPU architecture. Plus it's incredibly
unlikely that they would have a signature for exploits on System z. (Apart from
the fact that they likely have very few signatures for Linux anyway.)

Yes, they say it's behavioral. I have yet to see a solution there that works.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/