KVM under z/VM will suck because the hardware only supports two levels of
“SIE”. SIE is whats used to allow an LPAR and a virtual machine to operate
at hardware speeds. A lot of the stuff that used to be done by VM/SP and
predecessors when running virtual machines is done by the hardware (well
the microcode/millicode/…).

A virtual machine that tries to dispatch a guest of its own on SIE (like
KVM running on z/VM) has to get all those operations performed by the
hypervisor and not the hardware. Thus you get an enormous overhead and the
performance you are experiencing.