Am 24.09.2015 um 01:08 schrieb Mark Post:
>> As long as KVM can get close to z/vm performance then I
>> see a great potential in it.
>
> I don't think you're going to see that for quite a while.

I think we need to add some additional information.  All the announcement, GA,
support for SLES12 as guest talking from IBM and SUSE is not about the tech
preview
in SLES12. It is about the IBM product
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/solutions/virtualization/kvm/
together with the upcoming SLES12SP1 as a guest.

How much this differs from LPAR or z/VM or the KVM version in SLES12 certainly
depends on your workload. As always, pre-planning and testing is always a
good idea.

As of today the sweet spot of KVM on z is certainly a different one:
KVM provides  a different scheme of management and has different ways of
doing things. If you already have z/VM then you very likely want to
stay there as your operational model obviously works fine and its proven
and reliable in your shop.
If you already have KVM on x86 and no z/VM in the house, KVM on z might be
the  right tool to integrate the mainframe in your open environment because
it might integrate better into the operational model that is already
deployed.

> Those "8,000 virtual machines > on a z13" quotes I keep seeing from IBM are
> all talking
> about z/VM, even though they never come right out and say it.  I would expect
> far less
> capacity from KVM at this point in its development.

We have improved KVM since SLES12 was released. Some interesting
reading/watching on
the progress of KVM and things we fixed in the past 2 years can be found here.

slides:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6HTUUWSPdd-QlBta2ZEOWhQRlU/view?usp=sharing
presentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj-HLi1q6ZI