On 2016-02-02 14:54, Harder, Pieter wrote:
I think there is another factor involved. On x86 you usually run
database engines etc with very large caches to avoid going to disk. On
z this is much less of a penalty because of the powerful I/O
subsystem. I have some experience with this as we moved our SAP
systems from z to x86 as part of a strategic directive to focus on one
platform. We ended up running the same systems with about ten times
the amount of memory on the databases to get like performance. Both
platforms were virtualized (Linux on zVM with DB2 versus Windows on
VMWare with MSSQL).

But is it really the capability of the I/O subsystem or is it just that
the storage racks needed for the z are much more beefy than the Netapps
you usually get for "distributed" virtualization?

I do buy that there's more bandwidth available / less latency, although
a lot of that depends on how you connect the storage on x86.

Kind regards and thanks
Philipp Kern