After talking to Phil about this some last night, the one thing that came
to my mind was containable growth with scale!

While working with customers, visiting datacenters and reviewing workloads
for consolidation I've sadly yet to come across a case where mainframe
growth is causing the need for more power then an areas grid can provide,
or the floor space with people required to accomodate server sprawl.  If
you map out your datacenter, look at the z footprint, understand the
services it's providing for your business and then really dig into and
understand the true cost of everything else.  Make sure you include the
cost of moving, growing or building a new datacenter into that "cost of
everything else" model you're creating, unless you really have unlimited
reasources to work with.

z Systems is of course not the answer for everything.  Some x86 server
sprawl can also be tamed by looking at Power.  With our Linux everywhere
and open directives, Power systems are starting to be used by customers
that were born on x86:  http://openpowerfoundation.org/

Hopefully this information is helpful,

Kurt Acker
Cell: 607-348-8197
IBM Smarter Planet, Smarter Data Centers
Virtualization and Enterprise System Management Technologies