³Once it¹s up, linux is linux²Š

Right up until you want to install some piece of software. Unless you have
the source, then linux is x86, or linux is arm, or linux is z.

This is the main issue we ran into in getting acceptance of Linux on z
here, and which ultimately led to its death. Far too many of the things
that people wanted to install were from vendors who supplied the binary
packages, not the source. Our policy for a long time was ³Linux on z
first, until you prove you can¹t go there². Unfortunately, better than 50%
of the projects easily proved that they couldn¹t go there. SO, after a
long period of frustration, management came to the conclusion that Linux
on z was not a viable platform, and we were directed to convert the
remaining images to x86 and shut down zVM.

There needs to be wider acceptance within the software vendor community
for Linux on z (and / or Linux on ARM, Linux on PPC, Š, Linux on things
beyond x86). The problem is that the vendors can go to HP, or Best Buy,
and buy an x86, but they have to work to get an ARM or a PPC, or a Z. Most
aren¹t willing to make the effort to collect these platforms, and aren¹t
willing to invest in a Z system at all simply to test their product.

So yes, Linux runs on anything, from a postage stamp sized ARM system to
the mighty Z. But in the case of Linux on Z, unless cost effective, small
scale development boxes become available (basically a commodity style
machine that could run a small load with a modest amount of disk, but
using the Z instruction set and configuration), I don¹t see how a large
scale wide range acceptance will occur. We tried it. We frustrated
management, and were ³punished² for it, being "banished" to the Windows
group for 5 years, where the x86 mantra was ingrained into us.

As long as there¹s a huge price gap between the largest x86 based server
and the smallest Z system, software vendors won¹t take the leap. And
without software, a computer is just a brick.
--
Robert P. Nix | Sr IT Systems Engineer | Data Center Infrastructure
Services

Mayo Clinic | 200 First Street SW | Rochester, MN 55905
507-284-0844 | nix.rob...@mayo.edu
"quando omni flunkus moritati"