On Friday, 03/18/2016 at 01:18 GMT, "Nix, Robert P." <nix.rob...@mayo.edu>
wrote:
> There needs to be wider acceptance within the software vendor community
> for Linux on z (and / or Linux on ARM, Linux on PPC, ?, Linux on things
> beyond x86). The problem is that the vendors can go to HP, or Best Buy,
> and buy an x86, but they have to work to get an ARM or a PPC, or a Z.
Most
> aren¹t willing to make the effort to collect these platforms, and aren¹t
> willing to invest in a Z system at all simply to test their product.

IBM offers ISVs access to z Systems for that purpose, and there's RDz. PWD
members also have access to zPDT.  For porting, there's the Chiphopper
program.  There's no point in buying a z machine unless the financials
make sense.

And as far as Linux is concerned, Hercules is a possibility, but since it
doesn't have the IBM seal of approval, it still represents a certain
amount of risk when the software hits a real z box.

I would like to see a consortium of companies that use mainframes work
together to lobby vendors for z support, letting the vendor see a larger
audience (pot o' gold).  That might be how they justify the RDz or PWD
paths.

But rewarding a company for its x86-only behavior by buying from them just
reinforces that behavior.  "What you permit, you promote."

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323